Sunday, September 9, 2012

Lt Dan Band Week, Palm Key Resort & The Independence Fund

Can I just start by saying "WOW!"  This is going to be a fantastic week!!

Lt Dan Band Weekend (week) is going to be amazing.   Since the moment I signed up and started talking to the various people running this event, I felt comfortable with them and kind of in awe of what they are doing.  And I still didn't realize until I got here how much is really gong on.  And they are taking care of all of it for us.  And although it sounds cliche', it really touches my heart.  You wouldn't believe how much they are really taking care of...the lodging at The Palm Key Resort, meals (luau, italian, etc), all the activities which include: horse back riding, kayaking, 11 mile bike race/ride, massages, groups for the caregivers, speakers, several different art classes (metal sculpture, clay, spray paint art, etc), fishing with O'Neil Williams, civil war history tour, nature classes and tours, bowling, skeet shooting, photography classes, yoga, archery, manicures and pedicures, live entertainment...a LOT!!!  And don't forget the big draw of the whole weekend... Gary Sinese's Lt Dan Band concert.   

Our trip here had a rocky start.  A little family drama yesterday caused Steve to be very worried about the whole trip.  What had so far gone smoothly and with no sign of worry (much to my very pleasant surprise) quickly had him stressing about the safety of the house, if our kids were going to be well taken care of and get to all their stuff all week on time, if the trip was going to be safe, etc.  Lately any stress just knocks him out.  He may as well have taken one of his sleeping pills, because he's out cold right after.  As the evening went on he seemed to be better.  Today on the way here he was nervous (me too!) about what this week had in store, about meeting new people, housing arrangements, etc.  but he held it together well.  Just made for a very quiet drive.

Once we got here and started to check in, I thought all was lost.  First, we were the first people to arrive.  These ladies that were here to help were AMAZING, and because we were the only ones here, they were very excited and ready to talk.  I was too, and was chatting away with them while waiting to check in.  I could tell he was starting to get tense, but it wasn't until they started asking questions about his service that I started to think he wasn't going to make it.  So much credit to these awesome women, because they caught on right away and completely stopped any service talk at all.  Okay, whew, crisis averted!

BUT, then they told us they were switching us from a 5 room cottage where the people weren't going to be in until later in the week to a 2 room cottage where we'd have our room mates today.  Whoops!  We didn't realize we'd be sharing the cottage with other families.  I'm NOT complaining, and neither was Steve...although we were both totally freaked out I know I tried hard not to show it because we are both just very grateful to be here. I braced myself and I could physically feel him trying to relax, so I took him outside to have a smoke.  While we were out, apparently the 3 of them spoke about how they could tell how tense and anxious Steve was and when we came back in, they offered us the single bedroom cabin.  Yeah, I'm not embarrassed...I cried. I was just so impressed that they saw what he needed and were willing to accommodate.  And Steve?  Well, it was instant the way his demeanor changed.  LOL, I won't say he got happy...but he didn't look like he was going to have a melt down anymore.

Of course, now I feel guilty, like someone else who may need it isn't going to get it...I don't know why I do that to myself...I mean, we need it!

Anyway, after checking in we signed up for the activities we're participating in and then just strolled around.  Being stressed out put Steve to sleep, so I went back up to the rec center and hung out up there a while.  I wanted to thank them, and instead, they spent the time thanking me and Steve and while I was there they gave us a quilt, too!  Now I'm back in my room...there are no TV's, I don't want to sleep, so I just thought I'd update since I haven't been on here to write in forever.  Today and tomorrow are total relaxation days...no planned activities...and just what we need.  We have a back porch with rocking chairs and a swing that overlooks the "blue bottle trees" (yeah, trees with blue bottles on them...they are beautiful) the labyrinth and most importantly, the marsh.  I'll add pictures soon....

I'll update throughout the week, tell you what we learn in the classes (caregiver class called "who is taking care of you?")...I don't think I'll be able to say enough good things about our experience here, because so far...it's stellar =)

No comments:

Post a Comment

All I ask, is if you have anything to say, SAY IT! I have thick skin. If you think you are going to hurt my feelings, you may...but that same comment may also help me.